Monday, November 30, 2009

Sarah signed up for what?!

It was a Monday like any other Monday. Meghan sweetly called me on the phone and asked if I'd be in the office so she could come in and sign up for an event. I'd been toying with the idea of signing up for Desert Tri - sprint (aka shorter) distance - but Meghan can be awfully sweet and persuasive and by the time she left, I was shaking, but smiling, and filling out the forms myself for Wildflower Triathlon - a half ironman triathlon.

The idea of a triathlon exhilarates me. I have done a couple of marathons, done many more half-marathons, but the idea of the halves just wasn't scaring me enough to train regularly. I needed to step up my game...

Wait, back it up... I'm talking like I'm an elite athlete, I barely call myself a runner, because although I've covered many miles through the last few years, I don't look like a runner, I don't even like running! I have a really loud internal (usually) fight with myself for at least the first 30 minutes of any run. While I do get the sense that if it's been a while since I've been out there pounding the pavement that I might pound something or someone else, we'll just say, running doesn't come naturally.

Now Team In Training is the most well-rounded training program and I highly recommend it on an athletic and philanthropic level. Still, I won't lie, when the training schedule said cross-training day, I'd cross my legs and catch up on facebook updates or episodes of Grey's Anatomy.

People always told me that if you really want to get in shape, try a Tri! So that was the start of my thought process. The rest is a blur, void of all logical thought, but here I am signed up to do 70.3 miles total in the water, on a bike and on my feet and damn, I am excited for the journey, the challenges, the victories, and the finish line!

...and then I remembered that the last thing that Meghan wanted me to sign up and train with her for I wound up running alone because she was busy being a rockstar paddler! Oh Crap, what have I done?!

No comments:

Post a Comment