Thursday, December 3, 2009

Time - Is it on my side?

So how is this work, life, workout balance going to mesh? This week is brutal and it's not over yet.
Monday - Soccer practice
Tuesday - Scout pack meeting
Wednesday - Scout den meeting
Thursday - Soccer practice
Friday - Soccer game - hopefully we'll win and go to playoffs (no pressure!)
Saturday - Hike, then Queen Mary for 9 year old's birthday
Sunday - Craft Fair
That's just the evenings! Not to mention that I had a sick child, the roll-over to a new season at work which requires a load of time-sensitive stuff. I'm not fitting in the workout yet this week. After staying up til 2am, I'm going to wake up at 6:30am to get in a run so I can say I did SOMETHING this week. I'll get a swim in there between now and Sunday but I will likely wind up avoiding my nemesis the bike til next week because it's just not fitting in.

Timing is one of the reasons for doing this race now, on both conscious and subconscious levels. I can't help but be reminded by the ringing of the bell today - I'm halfway around the year to my big round birthday. While I didn't come in saying that my birthday was a reason I'm doing the event now, I know it was one of the grains of rice (I'm asian) that tipped the scales. When I did my first marathon, I chose that one because it was on my birthday, the 10th year of the run, and in my home town, so I know I put significance on dates, round numbers, and proximity (although this race isn't really that close to home). On the conscious level, I know that I wanted to do a Tri event in the spring because I plan to do the Nike Women's Marathon again with my girlfriends as a celebration of that same round birthday and I didn't want to be training for a tri when I should be training for the marathon. Lastly, as some people know, I work for LLS and we are not allowed to train and fundraise for an event until we've been there for a year - which is a smart decision as the jobs can be complicated and take a while to learn well. So the timing of hitting my year mark helped push me forward to this event.

I'm not doing the event to try to meet any minimum time, purely to finish and have a great time doing it. I recently learned that once people put in 10,000 hours with something that they are an "expert" so I'm hoping after spending that many hours over a few years of doing events, that even if I'm not an "expert", I'll at least enjoy doing the activities just to do them and not have to sign up for events to push my butt out the door for a run.

I try to save time whenever I can too and multi-task when possible. I think my best example of that was a night when I was in Round Table Pizza and was there to buy pizza to take to my son's den meeting. We raised money for my son's school, fed the scouts at the same time, plus while I was there I asked if I could post Team In Training flyers, so I was canvassing at the same time. I'm still trying to figure out how to multi-task my training, but perhaps I'll just be satisfied when we start doing Bricks (I'm told they're called this because our legs will feel like bricks - swell!) and get to do 2 sports for the cost of one babysitter!

For now, after this week, time is on my side. I have from now until May 1st to prepare and we are taking little baby steps. The season is rolling now, though, and starting to pick up speed and I need to make sure to stay current and present so my teammates know who I am, and are beating my time on my bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment