Saturday, December 12, 2009

Boo boo documentation

I'm doing this part because I think my kids will get a kick out of it. Or maybe to have something to share every time they come to me with a little boo boo that they could swear will be the end of them.

Let me point out that I'm writing this not with the challenge of "Bring it on! I love battle scars", and believe me, I have more scars than most people I know. I'm doing this for the documentation of the process of training for a half-ironman. If this is the only posting about boo boos for training, I'll be very happy! If you're reading this, please knock on wood on my behalf!

So far, I got what I thought was a mysterious rash on the side of my neck, turns out it's my jacket (see the weather wimp posting) rubbing my neck. My friend and Kona triathlete told me that I'm going to learn to love Astroglide or whatever that stuff is called. Triathletes slather themselves in it. We're so slick we slide when we walk! (OK, bonus points if you can name the movie that inspired that quote!)

Then I got this fantastic bruise on my wrist that looks like someone grabbed me with strong intent ("What the hell are you thinking signing up for a half-ironman for your first Tri?!") but really I realized I'm swimming by braille running along the lane lines. With all the things going through my head when I'm swimming now: Keep your chin at your chest, let the water roll over you easier; you still have 50m left to swim - keep going; roll to the side, you want to slice through the water; now straighten out, float like a barge; kick less; don't let your stroke cross over center; wait, we're supposed to swim 500m?; breathe out under water; breathe in by your armpit - apparently I cannot steer myself too.

I got into running for the mental break. The peace and quiet of pushing everything else out of my head, or just one thing at a time. The mental challenges of triathlon so far have been a great exercise both mentally and physically, and I have the marks to prove it.

1 comment:

  1. Shoot, I may not be able to remember what movie that quote was from but I'm thinking it was something like Grease 2. Don't hold that movie against me.

    ReplyDelete